Strawberry Sheet Cake with Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour*
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberry puree (about 1 pint of fresh strawberries)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup additional strawberries, diced
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reserved strawberry puree
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper leaving an overhang on two sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add strawberry puree (*reserve about 1 1/2 tablespoons of puree for whipped topping). Then add eggs, one at time, waiting until previously added egg is fully incorporated. Add vanilla extract, blending completely.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl, reduce speed to low and alternate flour mixture with buttermilk until well combined. Fold in diced strawberries.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for approximately 30-35 minutes; until a toothpick (or cake tester) inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in pan for 30 minutes before removing to a baking rack to cool completely. DO NOT ADD WHIPPED TOPPING UNTIL CAKE IS COMPLETELY COOLED.
- While cake is cooling, make strawberry whipped cream topping.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, add 2 cups COLD heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and reserved strawberry puree, beating until soft peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat or your will lose the fluffy texture.
- Use an offset spatula and cover cooled cake with whipped topping. Garnish with fresh strawberries and mint leaves, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @SouthernFromScratch.