Strawberry Swirl Pound Cake with Blueberry Sauce
- 1 container (16 oz) strawberries or 1 bag freeze dried strawberries (about 1 oz)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons strawberry extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Few drops of red food color
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- If using fresh strawberries turn oven to 200°F. If using freeze dried jump to step 3. Cut strawberries in slices 1/8 inch thick. Place close, but not touching on parchment lined cookie sheets. Place in oven for 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Flip upside down and dry for another 30 minutes. Set aside.
- For cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour or coat a 9- or 10-inch Bundt pan with baking spay and set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and salt. Mix until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and scraping well in between additions.
- Add vanilla and strawberry extract. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add one-fifth of flour and mix until smooth. Combine water and orange juice and add one-fourth to cake batter. Continue add and alternate one-fifth of flour and one fourth of liquid until all is blended and scraping bowl very well.
- Remove about one-third of batter and add a few drops of red food color and dehydrated strawberries.
- In prepared pan, add one third of vanilla batter. Add half of strawberry batter, but avoid dehydrated strawberries touching side of pan. Continue with another third of vanilla batter followed by remaining strawberry batter and finishing with vanilla batter.
- Bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean, about 70 minutes.
- Let cake cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
- Once cake has cooled whisk together water and powdered sugar. Drizzle on cake and decorate with 1/2 cup blueberries and strawberries.
- For blueberry sauce, blend blueberries in blender to a smooth puree. Add sugar and blend well.
- Serve pound cake slices with blueberry sauce.