Sugar Cookie Bars with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
Orange Sugar Cookies
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange, no white bitter pith
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, soft
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 oranges, no white bitter pith
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix soft butter until creamy. Add both sugars and mix until fluffy.
- Add one egg and when combined scrape bowl. Add another egg and mix until fluffy. Add salt, vanilla, and orange zest and mix until smooth.
- Add flour mixture all at once and mix until just combined.
- Press into prepared 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Place in oven and bake approximately 14 minutes or until edges are turning light golden and may even slightly shrink away from edges of baking pan.
- Once cooled place a cutting board on pan and flip it upside down. Remove pan. Place another cutting board on cookies and flip it once more.
- Prepare frosting by mixing cream cheese on very low speed in a mixer or by stirring it smooth in a bowl.
- If powdered sugar was previously opened sift it, otherwise add it all at once and stir or mix to combine.
- Add vanilla and orange zest.
- Spread frosting on cookie sheet and cut into bars.