Summer Berries and Cream Sponge Cake
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Cut a round piece of parchment paper and line bottom of pan. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Separate eggs, make sure that no egg yolk enters egg whites as egg whites do not whip when traces of yolk are present.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whip egg yolks for a minute. Add first listed 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until mixture is light in color and makes thick ribbons, about 10 minutes. Add salt and vanilla extract, stop mixer and set aside.
- In separate bowl, whip egg whites and second listed 3 tablespoons sugar on medium speed until it reaches soft medium peaks. Using a hand held spatula, fold whipped egg whites into whipped egg yolk mixture. Do not overfold to prevent the mixture from collapsing.
- Add 1/2 of flour and gently fold until incorporated. Add remaining flour and combine ensuring a light mixture. Scrape in pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 35-37 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn upside down on a towel or plastic food film lined surface. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare moistening syrup by bringing 1/2 cup sugar and water to a boil and allow to cool completely. Add liquor or fruit puree.
- Slice cake horizontally in 3 even layers and place one cake round on a serving platter.
- Brush or spoon 1/3 of moistening syrup onto layer and spread 1/3 of whipped cream onto it.
- Cover entire bottom layer with strawberries pointing upwards. If strawberries are uneven in height, trim tall ones so most are of equal height.
- Cover with a second cake layer and moisten with 1/3 of moistening syrup. Spread 1/3 of cream onto surface and sprinkle with 1/2 of blueberries.
- Cover with remaining cake layer and repeat syrup and cream. Decorate with remaining berries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.