- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2) sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar + 1/3 cup
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Mix soft butter and one cup sugar until well mixed together.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and salt. Add molasses and once well combined add egg.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and add in one step to the above. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop into 2 teaspoon amounts, roll into a ball and then roll into remaining sugar. If dough is too soft, place it briefly in a refrigerator or freezer.
- Place on parchment lined or buttered cookie sheets about 1 inch apart as they will spread in oven.
- Place in oven. Cookies will rise and near the very end of baking they will collapse. Once they collapse, remove from oven.
- By the next day, cookies will have become deliciously chewy. If you prefer them crisp, return to a 325°F oven for about 6-8 minutes.
If you don’t use spices frequently, consider purchasing them in bulk at your grocery store. You will be astounded how inexpensive and fresh they are.