- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2) sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar + 1/3 cup
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Mix soft butter and 1 cup sugar until well mixed together.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, and salt. Add molasses, and once well-combined, add egg.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. In one step, add to the above. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop into 2 teaspoon amounts, roll into a ball and then roll in remaining sugar. If dough is too soft, place it briefly in a refrigerator or freezer.
- Place on parchment lined or buttered cookie sheets about 1 inch apart as they will spread in oven.
- Place in oven. Cookies will rise and near the very end of baking they will collapse. Once they collapse, remove from oven.
- By the next day, cookies will have become deliciously chewy. If you prefer them crisper, return to a 325°F oven for about 6-8 minutes.
If you use spices frequently, consider purchasing them in bulk at your grocery store. You will be pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive and fresh they are.