Swedish Semla (Semlor)
Swedish Semla Buns
- 4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 7 ounces almond paste, chopped
- Bread crumbs from buns
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch kosher or fine sea salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar + more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Make buns by mixing flour, sugar, yeast, cardamom, and salt in a large bowl of an electric mixer to combine.
- In another bowl, whisk milk with melted butter and eggs. Add milk mixture to flour and mix until combined.
- Switch to dough hook attachment and mix on medium until dough is soft, smooth, and pulls away from sides of bowl. Dough will be sticky.
- Scoop dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover lightly with a piece of plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour. Dough will have puffed but not necessarily doubled in size.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Gently punch down dough and place on a scale to weigh. Divide weight by 12 or 16, depending on number of buns desired. Portion dough and shape into balls. Place on cookie sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minutes. After rising, whisk egg and water together and brush egg wash over buns.
- Bake for 20 minutes (for 12 buns), or until buns are puffed and deeply golden. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make almond filling, place chopped almond paste in a bowl. Cut tops off of cooled buns. Hollow out a bit of each bun, leaving a cavity in center but plenty of bread around edges. Add torn bread pieces to almond paste.
- Beat almond paste and bread, then add milk, powdered sugar, and extracts. Mix until creamy. Almond paste should be spoonable but not runny. Adjust as needed with milk or powdered sugar.
- Spoon almond cream into centers of buns.
- To make whipped cream place metal bowl and whisk attachment in freezer for 5 minutes. Remove bowl and pour in cream. Whip until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue whipping just until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe whipped cream over almond paste to edge of buns. Top with lids and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
- Buns and almond paste may be made ahead. Store buns at room temperature in a ziptop bag. Cover almond cream with a piece of plastic wrap pressed on top and refrigerate.
- Make whipped cream and assemble just before serving.
Without a scale, eyeball dough portions by dividing as evenly as possible. Start by dividing dough into half, then quarters.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.