Sweet and Sour Gummy Pumpkins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon citrus zest of your choice (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Food coloring to match flavor
- Sweet n Sour Coating
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons citric acid
- Mini pumpkin molds or cookie cutters
- Lightly spray cooking oil on pumpkin molds and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine juice and zest and allow to rest for 5 or so minutes to soften up the zest and release its flavorful oils.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the juice mixture, stir until completely combined then set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine water, sugar and salt and stir while bringing to a boil. Stop stirring when it begins to boil and keep it at a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour sugar mixture over the gelatin mixture and stir until it is smooth and all gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour mixture into the mini pumpkin molds. (If you don’t have a pumpkin mold, line an 8 x 8 inch pan with tinfoil and very lightly oil. Pour mixture into prepared pan.) Let the mixture sit overnight.
- When ready to prepare, mix sugar and citric acid in a bowl.
- Remove pumpkin gumdrops from mold (or if using a pan, take pumpkin shaped fondant cutters and cut out shapes). Coat each pumpkin gummy with sugar and citric acid mixture. Once coated, let the pumpkin gummies set for a day or so to really form a firm sour crust.
- Serve as a fun dessert or snack, or wrap in cellophane, tie with ribbon and use one of our free printable Thanksgiving gift tags for a gift.
- Can be stored at room temperature.