Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, preferably not peeled
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 2 teaspoons chili sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice or regular vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil (can be extra virgin olive oil/avocado oil)
- 2 medium sized yellow onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium-sized zucchinis, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, cut into chunks (fresh or canned in own juice)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Peel and devein shrimp, but do not discard shrimp peels. In a small saucepan combine 1 cup water with obtained shrimp peels. Bring to a boil and turn to a low simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer and measure to obtain 1/2 cup of shrimp broth and pour in small saucepan. Discard peels. Freeze remaining shrimp stock for gumbo or other dish.
- Add tomato paste, pepper flakes or chili sauce, salt, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar. Whisk to a boil.
- Mix corn starch with water and add to boiling above. Whisk until thickened, which will happen very quickly. Do not unnecessarily whisk or heat as it will break down consistency of sauce. Set aside.
- Add oil to wok. Once heated add onions and garlic and stir for 2-3 minutes on high heat. Add bell pepper and zucchini and heat for 3-4 more minutes.
- Add pineapple, shrimp, and ginger. Once shrimp is close to being done add sauce and stir to combine. Add green onions and serve over steamed rice.