Sweet Corn Soufflé
- 2 cups corn kernels (canned or frozen) draineded)
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare soufflé dishes with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, bring milk to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter and sugar over medium low heat. When butter is melted and sugar dissolved, add flour all at once and briskly whisk it into butter until smooth. Make sure flour is completely absorbed. Continue whisking lightly until flour has cooked, another two to three minutes.
- Add heated milk all at once to butter and flour and whisk until smooth. Continue to whisk about two minutes until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- After mixture has cooled for a few minutes, whisk in egg yolks only (reserve egg whites), one at a time. Then add seasonings and whisk to combine.
- Add half of roasted corn to base and whisk to combine.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until egg whites form soft peaks. Add approximately 1 tablespoon of soufflé base to egg whites and fold in gently using a whisk or a rubber spatula. Fold in remaining egg whites to soufflé.
- Transfer to prepared soufflé dishes and bake on a lined cookie sheet or half sheet pan on lowest pan in oven. Bake for approximately 25-28 minutes until soufflés have puffed and are golden brown. Serve immediately.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.