Sweet Green Tomato Pickles
- 1 pound green tomatoes
- 6 medium white onions
- 1 quart vinegar
- 4 pounds Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spice
- Slice tomatoes and onions thin; sprinkle with salt and let stand overnight in a casserole dish with a lid, or a bowl that is covered tightly.
- Drain tomatoes and onions. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar and spices; bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and onions and simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Green tomatoes should be tender and transparent when fully cooked. If necessary, add a little water to ensure all vegetables are covered during cooking.
- Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. If planning on storing in the refrigerator, turn jars upside down while still hot to seal and place in fridge. If planning to store at room temperature, seal jars and process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water and let stand undisturbed for 24 hours. Store in a cool dark place for one year.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Visit Ball Canning for additional water bath canning instructions.
Recipe originally published in the 1949 So Your Canning Cookbook from Imperial Sugar.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments