Sweet Potato Cinnamon Casserole with Brown Sugar Walnut Crumb Topping
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter for the topping
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spoon and sweep method*)
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Peel and quarter sweet potatoes and cook in large pot of boiling water until tender.
- Drain and cool. In medium saucepan combine brown sugar, corn starch, salt, cinnamon, evaporated milk, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Cube potatoes and place in greased 8x12-inch casserole dish.
- Pour sauce over sweet potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, make topping by combining walnuts, butter, oats, flour, and brown sugar. Combine with finger or fork until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven, sprinkle topping evenly over top and return to oven for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.