Sweet Potato Gratin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Generous pinch nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese such as Gruyere or white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic and sugar to a boil. Set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Cut potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices (easily done using a mandolin)
- Layer 1/3 of sliced potatoes into ramekins or oven proof dishes. (Using individual ramekins makes this dish more elegant for serving.) Pour 1/3 of boiled cream onto potatoes and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat with 1/3 of all ingredients. Repeat once more.
- Place in oven and bake until surface is deep golden brown and has bubbled for at least 10 minutes and potatoes are knife tender. Total time in oven is about 30 minutes. It will be longer if large dishes are used. Serve.
- Extremely hot when served straight from oven.