Sweet Potato Gratin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Generous pinch nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese such as Gruyere or white cheddar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring heavy cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic and sugar to a boil. Set aside.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Cut potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices (easily done using a mandolin).
- Layer 1/3 of sliced potatoes into a 9x13-inch pan. Pour 1/3 of boiled cream onto potatoes and sprinkle with 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat with 1/3 of all ingredients. Repeat once more.
- Place in oven and bake until surface is deep golden brown and has bubbled for at least 10 minutes and potatoes are knife tender, approx 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm.