Sweet Potato & Pecan Paninis with Smoked Gouda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional for brushing sandwiches
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup cooked sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic, chopped (or 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 slices country style or peasant bread
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add pecans and cook, stirring, until golden brown and toasted.
- Add brown sugar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Transfer to a plate to cool. In medium bowl, combine sweet potatoes, garlic, sage, and cooled pecan mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle four slices of bread, on one side, with half the cheese. Top with 1/4 of sweet potato mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Top with second piece of bread; pressing gently.
- Lightly brush sandwiches with softened butter.
- Heat in a panini press or skillet until lightly browned on both sides and cheese has melted. Serve warm.