Sweet Potato Pound Cake
- 1 very large sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan or bundt pan. Set aside.
- Peel and cut sweet potato in small cubes. Boil in water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain all water and mash until very smooth and no lumps remain. Measure 1 1/2 cups and set aside.
- Sift together all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add granulated sugar and mix further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated before adding next. Scrape bowl often. Whip until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Add orange zest.
- Ensure that sweet potato puree is no longer warm and then add to above.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan. Place in the oven, after being in the oven for 45 minutes drape a sheet of buttered aluminum foil gently on the surface of the pound cake. (Keeps cake from browning too much.)
- Bake for 1:15 or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Whisk together orange juice and powdered sugar and drizzle over cake.
**Ovens vary in temperature and loaf pan sizes as well, therefore when baking pound cakes, trust your baking instinct rather than time.
This cake was very moist easy to make and delicious.
Does anyone know if this cake can be frozen?
Baked this cake this morning. Am looking for recipes to use for gift giving and this cake won hands down! It is an awesome cake. Only I thing I did different was add orange zest to the icing. Great recipe!
Beautiful cake. Popped out of the loaf pan (greased but not floured) neatly. Fine texture. Cake is not too sweet and not heavy. Slices great. Orange rind flavour stands out.
Will definitely add to my recipe box.