Teddy Bear Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and blend smooth. Add vanilla extract and blend well. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and stir slowly into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half and add chocolate to one of halves. Blend thoroughly. Keep dough covered to retain moistness. Do not chill.
- To form each teddy bear, roll a pinch of dough into a small one inch ball and press slightly flat onto an ungreased baking sheet. This ball will form bear's body. Now, roll smaller balls (about 3/4 inch for head, 1/2 inch for arms and legs, 1/4 inch for ears and then even smaller balls for mouth, nose and eyes) from alternating colors of dough. Dampen each ball very lightly with water (just at the joining area) and press firmly in place to form each bear.
- Overlap balls ever-so lightly just to ensure a good seal. Form bears about 2 inches apart on an ungreased sheet and bake for about 7 - 8 minutes, or until dry. Cool about 1 minute, then carefully loosen with a spatula and move to a rack to complete cooling.
- Store cookies in an airtight plastic container at room temperature.
Recipe from Homemade Good News 1992 Volume XII.