Three Kings Bread
Three Kings Bread
- 1/3 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 packet (1/4 oz) active-dry yeast
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*, plus additional for work surface
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- Dried figs
- Candied cherries
- Quince paste, sliced
- Guava paste, sliced
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Plastic baby Jesus, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place warm milk in a small bowl, stir in 1 tablespoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over milk sugar mixture. Let sit for about 20 seconds until moistened, stir, set aside to proof for 10 minutes.
- To a stand mixer bowl combine flour, sugar, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to mix well.
- Attach dough hook, add eggs, butter, vanilla extract, and yeast mixture. Mix until dough is soft and dough forms pulling away from mixer bowl.
- Grease large bowl with softened butter. Lightly dust a surface with flour and gently knead dough for 5 minutes. Shape into ball and place into buttered bowl, turn over to coat and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Return dough to lightly dusted work surface, punch down dough and begin forming bread. Roll into a long cylinder then joins ends to form an oval ring. Place on baking sheet, cover with kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together egg and milk, set aside. In a bowl mix together shortening and confectioner sugar until creamy. Stir in egg yolk and flour until you have a smooth paste.
- Brush bread with egg wash. Form strips with sugar paste, place on bread and decorate with figs, cherries, quince, and guava paste. Gently press dried fruit into dough and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Carefully transfer bread to a wire rack to cool. Once bread has cooled insert baby Jesus in bottom of bread. (optional)
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com.