Toasted Almond Cookies
- 1 cup almond slices or slivers
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour (not almond meal)
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour* (for gluten free, use cornstarch)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites + 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (not optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place almonds in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake about 4-6 minutes until light golden and fragrant. Do not walk far away from the oven as almonds go from perfectly golden to burnt very quickly. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, thoroughly combine almond flour, powdered sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add egg whites and almond extract. Mix well. Dough will be firm. Add toasted almonds.
- Place dough on plastic lined food film. Cover with another sheet of plastic and shape/roll into a rectangle measuring approximately 7 x 12 inches.
- Transfer onto a flipped cookie sheet and place in freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For next steps it is important to work efficiently as dough will quickly become sticky when removed from freezer. Pre-chilling area where you will be cutting dough with ice cubes is a good idea.
- Set aside 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Remove plastic from top and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Flip upside down and remove plastic. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Quickly cut in approximately 1 1/2-inch squares. Place cut squares onto cookie sheets about 1/2-inch apart. If dough gets too sticky at any time return to freezer.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 15-17 minutes.
- Once cooled, diagonally place a knife or metal spatula on a cookie and sprinkle exposed part with powdered sugar.