Toffee Buckeye Brownies
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup +3 tablespoons (regular) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
Peanut Butter Layer
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of salt, or to taste
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1/4-1/2 cup toffee bits
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8X8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- Place butter, sugar, and both cocoa powders in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 1 minute and 30 seconds, or until butter is melted. Mix everything together until smooth.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. Pour in the salt, baking powder, and flour and mix until everything is completely combined. The batter will be very thick.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking pan and smooth it out until level. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large food processor, pulse peanut butter and butter until smooth. Add confectioner's sugar and salt and pulse a few more times until combined. The mixture should not be a soft dough-like consistency. If dough seems too wet, add a little bit of sugar. If it feels too dry, add a little bit more peanut butter.
- Once brownies are completely cool, pack peanut butter mixture on top of brownies.
- In a small bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening at 30 second increments in the microwave until completely smooth and pourable. Pour chocolate on top of peanut butter layer and spread it out with a rubber spatula into a smooth and even layer.
- Sprinkle toffee bits on top while chocolate is still wet. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes or until firm enough to cut.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.