Torta de Cielo
- 1 1/4 cups slivered blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Sliced almonds, optional
- Orange slices, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Cut a piece of parchment to fit bottom. Spray both sides with nonstick spray and place on bottom of pan.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. Place in a bowl with flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, gradually adding sugar.
- Add orange and vanilla extract.
- Add yolks one by one, mixing well after each addition.
- Gently fold in dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared springform pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Garnish with sliced almonds and orange slices, optional.