Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 8 whole wheat buns
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together ketchup, tomato sauce, sugar, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add onion, bell pepper and carrots and cook, stirring as needed, for 5 minutes.
- Add turkey and cook until browned through, breaking it up with a spatula as it cooks. Add the ketchup mixture, stirring to evenly coat turkey and vegetables.
- Simmer for 10 minutes more, or until thickened. Divide turkey mixture evenly among buns and serve immediately.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.