Turtle Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter, very cold
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 oz chocolate chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a box grater, move cold butter sticks back and forth over the small “eyes” of grater just as you would grate cheese.
- Combine grated butter, powdered sugar, salt, and flour in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix on low speed until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg and vanilla extract and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Place dough in refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 30-40 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile on the work surface area where you will be rolling dough, place a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes to chill area.
- Roll dough to 1/4-inch thick and cut into circles. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place briefly in freezer to make the cookies very cold and firm. Continue with remaining dough.
- Bake until very light in color, about 16-18 minutes, depending on thickness. Let cookies cool completely.
- Prepare chocolate sauce: Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan until super hot. Pour chocolate chips into a small bowl. Pour hot heavy cream over chocolate chips. Let sit 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate melts and becomes smooth.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of caramel into the center of cookies. Drizzle with chocolate sauce. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.