- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 17 (store-bought) shortbread cookie sticks
- 1 bag (11 ounce) + 1/3 cup caramel bits
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x13-inch pan. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in sugars and heat while stirring until hot to touch, but not bubbling.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and baking powder. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Stir in flour.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make caramel. Over medium-low heat, melt caramel bits and evaporated milk together, stirring frequently.
- After 25 minutes, remove brownies from oven and top with cookies, pressing down slightly. Some brownie will still remain visible. Pour caramel sauce evenly over cookies. Return to oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove brownies from oven, place on a wire rack, and let cool completely in pan.
- Make ganache: Place chocolate chips in a bowl. Heat cream to a simmer. Pour cream over chocolate chips; set timer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, slowly stir chocolate and cream until combined and thickened. Pour over cooled brownies, using an offset spatula to smooth. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store in refrigerator. These thick brownies are easiest cut with a bench scraper or large bread knife, pressing straight down, rather than cutting back and forth.