Unicorn Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 3 large egg whites (no egg yolk traces)
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 jar (15 oz) blackberry jam (or fruit of choice)
Meringue Unicorn Horns
- 6 large egg whites, no egg yolk traces
- 3/4 cup + 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Gel food colors: red, yellow, green, blue, green
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 410°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Line a 10 x 15-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and dust evenly with additional flour. Shake off excess flour and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and yolks until combined. Add 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar and whip until mixture is very light and foamy (like hair mousse). This will take at least 12 minutes. Add vanilla extract and salt.
- Stop whipping. Sprinkle flour onto mixture and fold together delicately with a rubber spatula.
- In a clean bowl whip together egg whites and second listed sugar to soft peaks. Fold into above using a spatula.
- Spread mixture using a metal cake spatula onto prepared pan and place in oven for about 10-11 minutes. It is done when the cake slightly shrinks away from edges and or the cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- Flip cake upside down onto a sheet of parchment or kitchen towel, leave jelly roll pan over the cake until cooled. Lower oven temperature to 200°F.
- Set aside a piping bag with a pastry tip (such as Ateco 803) and 2-3 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Whip egg whites with 3/4 cup sugar to very stiff peaks. Once meringue is stiff, stop whipping. Using a rubber spatula fold remaining 3/4 cup sugar into meringue.
- Turn bag inside-out and pipe/brush 3 small lines of a gel food color onto bag from top to bottom and then fill bag with 1 cup of meringue. Pipe “kisses” onto prepared cookie sheets. Wash bag and repeat with remaining colors and meringue.
- Place meringues in oven and bake until center of meringues are crisp, about 90 minutes (but it can take up to 2 hours). It is a good idea to open the door of oven a few times during the baking process to allow steam to escape.
- Set aside about 7 tablespoons of jam and spread the rest of it evenly onto cake surface. Starting with the narrow side (10-inch side), roll cake into a cylinder. Place on a serving tray with the seam on bottom.
- Adhere meringues (unicorn horns) onto cake using remaining jam or whisk 2 tablespoons of soft butter with 6 tablespoons powdered sugar. It is easiest to start adhering meringues from the bottom edge and work up to center.
- Serve immediately or store airtight. Do not refrigerate.