Vanilla Caramel Sandwich Cookies
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix butter until light and creamy. Add sugar and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and salt and beat until very well combined.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together and add in one step to above. Mix until dough forms, do not overmix.
- Press dough about 1/2-inch-thick onto a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to overnight.
- On a kitchen towel, sprinkled generously with granulated sugar, roll dough about 3-4 credit cards thick. Cut into circles about 1 3/4-inches in diameter. Place on parchment or lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Place in oven and bake until very pale and edges are pale light golden, about 9 minutes.
- Prepare caramel sauce according to directions.
- Sandwich cookies with cooled caramel sauce.
- Place a strip of paper on center of cookies. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to make stripes.