Vintage Irish Potato Cake
Spiced Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra-Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioner’s Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Chopped pecans, optional
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. (Don’t not make in a smaller pan.) Set aside.
- Toast pecans in a skillet, stirring frequently, until fragrant and toasted. Remove from pan to cool.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves together. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar for several minutes until combined and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, then milk and potatoes, scraping bottom and sides of bowl as needed.
- On low speed beat in flour mixture in two additions. Add pecans and mix.
- In another bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make glaze: whisk melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and hot water. Add more sugar or water to adjust consistency as needed. Pour over cooled cake. Scatter with chopped pecans, if desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- Use leftover mashed potatoes that haven’t been seasoned with garlic or herbs, or whip up quick mashed potatoes from instant potato flakes.
- This cake is made in a large 9x5-inch loaf pan. Making it in a smaller pan will result in spill-over.
- Recipe adapted for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments