Vintage White Butter Cream Frosting
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 5 sticks sweet butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat to stiff mixture. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, then bring to a boil without stirring. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes to let condensation wash any sugar crystals down sides of the pan.
- Uncover and continue to boil without stirring until syrup reaches soft ball stage (234-240°F on a candy thermometer). Remove from heat and stir in cold water for a second to stop the cooking process.
- Pour syrup in a fine stream into stiffly beaten egg whites, beating them at high speed. The mixture should become very stiff and shiny with the addition of syrup. Continue beating for about 7 minutes, then set aside to cool before adding butter.
- Whip butter until very soft and fluffy.
- While beating egg white mixture at high speed, add creamed butter by large spoonfuls. Continue beating on high for 4-6 minutes.
- Add vanilla and lemon extracts and blend until fully incorporated.
- Use immediately.