Walnut and Strawberry Torte
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3/4 + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam or jelly
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with shortening. Line bottom with a piece of parchment paper. Grease parchment.
- Place walnuts, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and salt in a food processor. Process until nuts are finely ground. Set aside.
- Whip egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining powdered sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Mix in extracts.
- Fold walnut mixture into whipped eggs in three additions. Fold gently until dry mix is incorporated, taking care not to deflate egg whites. Transfer mixture to prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until done.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 minutes, then run a thin knife along edge of pan. Invert onto a wire cooling rack, peel off parchment, and let cool completely.
- Once cake is cooled, heat jam and water in a small saucepan. Whisk until smooth while it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Wash strawberries, remove tops, and hull. Cut into halves. Place strawberries on cooled cake, cut side up. Once strawberries are arranged, use a pastry brush to lightly coat each one with cooled glaze.
- This cake is best served within two hours of topping with strawberries. The cake be made a day ahead, wrapped tightly, and topped just before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.