Wedding Cake Ice Cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup + 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cake mix
- Into your stand mixer bowl add: egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until mixture is light in color and creamy.
- Into a heavy bottom sauce pan add: milk, cream, salt, vanilla extract, remaining sugar and cake mix. Stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil). Remove from heat.
- Gradually add egg mixture to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Churn mixture according to your machine's manufacturer's directions.
- Freeze overnight.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Paula Jones @bellalimento.