White Chocolate Lemon Truffles
- 8 ounces white chocolate, preferably best quality
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 4 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 10 ounces white chocolate, preferably best quality
- Chop 8 ounces of white chocolate and place in a microwave-proof bowl large enough to hold whipping cream. Set aside.
- In a saucepan bring whipping cream, sugar, and zest to a boil. Remove from heat and pour onto chopped chocolate.
- Stir until chocolate has melted. Chances are that few lumps will remain. If so, place bowl in a microwave oven for 5 seconds and stir thoroughly. If needed, heat another 5 seconds but aim to heat as very little as possible. It is better to keep stirring and pressing out the lumps versus heating.
- Set aside until mixture has firmed and holds its shape, about 4 hours or preferably overnight.
To prepare truffles:
- On a plastic food film lined cutting board, use a 2 teaspoon melon baller to scoop out mounds, or pipe mixture into a ball shape using a piping bag with a plain round tip.
- Using your hands roll in a perfect ball shape. It's best to use gloves to keep filling from warming up in your hands. If filling becomes too soft, place briefly in the refrigerator to firm.
- Chop 10 ounces of white chocolate and place in a microwave-proof bowl.
- Heat in 8-10 second increments until about half of chocolate is melted. Continue to heat in 5-6 second increments until about 3/4 of chocolate is melted. Without further heating, stir chocolate until nearly all chocolate is melted, but a few lumps are okay.
- Place a small amount of melted white chocolate in the palm of your hands and roll a truffle in it to coat well. Place coated truffle on a plastic food film lined counter until hardened.
- If exterior white chocolate becomes too firm, heat in the microwave for 5-6 seconds and stir well until smooth.
- Top with a bit of fresh lemon zest, if desired.
- Keep truffles refrigerated.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- We highly recommend making the filling a day ahead and finishing the truffles the following day.
- For a smoother exterior, place the truffle on a fork and dip into the melted white chocolate.