White Chocolate Peppermint Glazed Pound Cake
- 2 1/4 cup cake flour*
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 2 cups + 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
White Chocolate Peppermint Glaze
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- A few peppermint candy canes or peppermints
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 or 10-inch tube pan and set aside.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- In a stand or hand-held mixer using the paddle attachment, mix butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix well.
- Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and mixture regains a smooth homogenous look. Add yolk and salt.
- Alternately add flour and heavy cream in five steps, starting with and ending with flour. Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven.
- Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about one hour. If cake turns too dark before being done, cover it with a lightly buttered piece of foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes before turning upside down on a serving platter. Keep baking pan over cake until cooled.
- Prepare glaze by bringing heavy cream and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips. Add peppermint.
- Once glaze is lukewarm, it can be poured onto cake.
- Crush mints using back of a heavy knife or use a rolling pin. Sprinkle cake with mint pieces.
Ensure that all ingredients are at room temperature to create a perfect emulsion and consequently a perfect cake. Pop a slice briefly in the microwave oven to bring out the buttery notes and make the cake extra tender.