- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup red or green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup candied pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 6 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Spray two 9 X 5-inch loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray, then line with parchment paper and spray parchment. Set aside.
- Soak raisins in a bowl of water to plump for 10 minutes. Drain off water and pat raisins dry.
- Chop raisins, cherries, and pineapple. Place chopped fruit in a small bowl. Add in almonds and 1/4 cup of flour. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Sift remaining flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar together. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream shortening, and sugar together. Mix in flour mixture, milk, orange, and lemon zest until combined.
- Stir in fruit and coconut. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Divide batter equally in each prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove pans from oven and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack. Slice to serve.