Wild West Beans
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup Cola soft drink
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- OR 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- You will also need: a mixing bowl, can opener, glass or other oven proof baking dish, knife, cutting board, measuring cups and spoons and mixing spoon.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. Place in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Place uncovered in oven and bake until beans are bubbling. Baking time will depend on depth of beans in dish.
Serve: These are delicious with barbecued ribs or hamburgers. Potato salad, hot bread and a cold drink make the meal complete.
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Put cold, leftover beans in a toasted sandwich bun with a slice of onion. Click here to see our 1972 TV commercial for My First Cookbook!