Wreath Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Green food coloring
- Round sprinkles to decorate
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and continue mixing until combined and smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer speed to low and add flour, mixing until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half sections. On a floured working surface roll dough to 1/3 inch thick. Using fluted biscuit cutters, or a wreath cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place cookies on prepared baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. If you are baking in batches, keep unused dough in a refrigerator until ready to use to prevent dough from getting too warm. Also, if making different sized wreaths, bake like-sized shapes together to ensure even baking.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare frosting: In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix butter on medium speed until smooth. Turn mixer to low and add powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix until combined. Turn mixer up to medium speed and mix until creamy, adding in more milk if desired.
- Add a drop or two of food coloring and mix until frosting is a uniform color.
- Using a piping bag or an offset spatula, spread frosting on top of cooled cookies. Decorate with sprinkles as desired.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.