Yogurt Dill Bread
- 2 cups fat free or regular yogurt
- 1 tablespoon instant or rapid dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour*
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 package (4 tablespoons) finely chopped dill
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Allow yogurt to come to room temperature (70°F-75°F). You may place yogurt in a bowl which sits in warm water to speed the process.
- Combine yeast and lukewarm water and place in mixing bowl. Add flour followed by sugar, salt and yogurt. Using a dough hook mix for 7 minutes on medium speed or until dough is elastic and can be pulled or stretched into a thin film similar as a latex glove.
- Mix in dill and once thoroughly combined stop mixing.
- Cover bowl with plastic food film and place in a warm area for about 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Depending on your room temperature this may take up to 90 minutes. No reason to panic as the longer the fermentation takes the more delicious the bread will be.
- This bread can be baked with or without a mold. If using molds, butter 2 rectangular pound cake pans evenly with butter and set aside. Free style loaves are baked on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Remove from bowl and press dough onto itself and fold as an envelope to make dough firm and tight. Cover with plastic and allow resting for 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in two equal pieces. Shape round and cover with plastic for 5-10 minutes.
- Shape into a football shape and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet or into prepared loaf molds. Sprinkle lightly with flour if a rustic look is desired.
- Cover with plastic food film and allow to rise for approximately 45-60 minutes or until the loaves have gained 60% in volume. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Using a serrated knife cut a few marks into the surface of the loaves.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-37 minutes.
- Artisan bread such as this one will be more delicious if baked deep golden brown. Test for doneness by tapping the bottom of the loaves, sounding hollow is a sign of doneness.