Bread Pudding Custard
- Preheat oven to 180°F. Prepare a 10x10-inch baking dish by buttering well on all sides. Set aside.
- Prepare a casserole dish or other lipped dish with approximately 1-inch of water. Set aside.
- Place milk and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Then, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk eggs until stiff and add 3/4 cup sugar.
- Remove cinnamon stick from milk mixture and carefully add milk to eggs.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar and 3 teaspoons water to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon or silicone spatula until sugar begins to dissolve. As mixture begins to boil, stop stirring. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Do not stir! Watch caramel closely until it reaches a uniform rich, brown color. When caramel is evenly toned and slightly thickened, remove from heat.
- Pour caramel into prepared dish.
- Combine breadcrumbs, milk mixture, and liquor and pour over caramel.
- Place bread pudding dish inside the casserole dish with water and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Slice and serve warm. Sprinkle with cinnamon and top with whipped cream for serving, as desired.