Thick Soft Baked Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavor of your choosing
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg and vanilla. Stir.
- In a separate bowl, sift baking powder and flour. Add to butter mixture and stir. Do not chill. Dough should be stiff.
- Roll dough to 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness on floured surface. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters of choice.
- Bake at 350°F for about 6-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Move to a wire rack to cool.
- Once fully cooled, frost cookies with buttercream, royal icing or cream cheese frosting.