Chocolate Almond Cherry Biscotti
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped blanched almonds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Chocolate Dip
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs and extracts and beat until well combined.
- With mixer on low, add in flour, cocoa, almond flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined. Stir in chopped almonds and cherries.
- On parchment-lined sheet, form dough into a log, 14” long and 3” wide. Use a bench scraper to smooth the top, if needed.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325° F. Spray baked dough with water and let sit and additional 5 minutes.
- Remove to a cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut dough crosswise, into strips about 3/4"-1” wide. Place cut strips back onto cookie sheet, standing upright.
- Bake an additional 25-35 minutes, until dry (time will vary based on the thickness of the cookies.)
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Line another cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- To dip, melt 2/3 of chocolate chips and shortening in microwave. Start with 45 seconds on 50% power. Stir. Continue at 30 second intervals, stirring after each until melted. Stir in remaining chocolate chips until smooth.
- Dip bottom of biscotti into melted chocolate. Place onto waxed-lined cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to set.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.